The Place to be (Part II)

Thoughts. Not necessarily in a stream.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Going no where

Everybody has a plan right? Not exactly everybody I suppose. Some people live by the minute, some by the day, deciding to do things on a whim, depending more often than not on an instinct, a sixth sense, a gut feeling. Others plan things out to the tee, where they want to be, what they're going to do, who they are going to end up with, in how many years time. One thing's for sure, time is flying by, there is no stopping it. And when one grows up, that fact becomes so evident and pressingly clear, and you start trying your darndest to catch up with it.

Yup that's how I feel like now. Life is short and there's so many things to do. Having children and starting a family still sounds terribly far-fetched to me, and yet I see friends already heading in that direction. And it is true, I'm hitting 25, perfect child-bearing age! There's so much more I want to experience. And I feel Singapore is not going to give that to me. But alas, I'm stuck in this job for at least another 2 yrs, and Adriano's stuck in his for at least 5. Why do I want to move away from Singapore? Singapore is great. Small and dynamic, developing at an extremely fast pace, safe, secure, stable. But there's only so much you can do here. You can't explore the countryside (I know there isn't one, just think Bukit Timah Nature Reserve) without breaking out into a sweat, you can't walk a mile without encountering tar roads and blaring car horns. It's not that I want to run away from it forever, but I just want to be in a different place for some time. And meet different kinds of people. Not forever, just for awhile. Maybe forever, if I like it, I'll shift my folks over afterward :P

There are things I love about Singapore though. The good (and cheap) food. The shopping centres which close at 9.30 (and not 5). The Singlish (I don't care what they say about it, it makes us unique). The East Coast (somehow I just like strolling around Parkway in my flip flops or walking my dog down to the park on a weekend). The people of course.

Anyway, talking as if I'm going to migrate but the fact is, I'm not going anywhere...
The SP, 10:14 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment