The Place to be (Part II)

Thoughts. Not necessarily in a stream.

Friday, May 26, 2006

The first week of work

It has been a CRAZEE week.

A REALLY CRAZEE CRAZEE week.

A week which consisted of uncomprehendable chim-ness, sleepy heads, pleasant surprises, sweet desserts, multi-dollar ferrari-costing laboratory instruments, austin power-secret underground animal laboratories, getting flowers, and acquiring insane exam results which earns its rights to be bragged about forever and ever amen.

Let me take you through it slowly.

P.S. I know I have said it was boring and superficial to talk about our daily lives on these so-called 'blogs' but heyyy, you have NO IDEA how interesting my life is ok!

Ok lets see. My first day of work, i.e. Monday. It was pretty boring, had orientation talks, IT briefings, a little tour of the property. Met the new colleagues who are all really nice people. Had a little trouble deciding what to wear, settled with casual slacks, but the shoes were a mistake, gave me hellish blisters. Its funny how the WORK shoes (see previous entry) give me blisters but the PLAY shoes are entirely fine.. kind of a parallel irony doncha think? Anyway, met up with the girls for dinner after. Oh OH, before that I went solo shopping and bagged a great deal at ESPRIT, pants at 50% off! With accompanying belt! *pats self on the back* Anyway, we had sakae sushi, which I agree with the bf, kinda sucks. Ain't that fresh, and ain't fantastic. Dris' bf came along for the ride but got off when we went for desserts. Desserts were fantastic.. had the bakerzin cheesecake coupe (a fav) and here are the lovely pics of the lovely girls, a squishy octopus and penguin shoes.



Thanks girls for the isetan voucher... it's sure gonna come in handy this weekend :D Well the next day was actually my birthday. Its funny though, I didn't really feel excited about it this year. On the contrary I felt a kind of disdain for it cos I was hit with the reality of finally getting older and being a dowdy adult. So I was fully prepared to go through the day without fanfare and much ado. Work sent me to this boring symposium where I had to sit through a 2-day torture of head-swaying, jargon-filled, dowdy old men on podium pointing lasers at minute glowing stuff aka cells, lectures and talks about THE BRAIN. Neuroscience is probably going to be a very very hard topic for me which I have to study cos I have no choice. Its a pity I didn't take neuroscience in school, but probably a blessing in disguise :P You'll find out later. Anyway, the boyfriend totally surprised me at dinner on my birthday by inviting the whole jin gang over for some californy-an pizza. Hehe, thanks all you guys for coming.. we should have more parties next time ;) WITH ALCOHOL. Sorry if I deprived you guys of magaritas that night, hehe, so much so the joclam duo had to order heini's to quench their alcoholic desires. Well here's more pics~



And thanks for the bag, the awesome card and the manicure/pedicure voucher.. I can't wait to get my nails done! :D

Well wed to fri was just work work work. Visited their animal holding labs. And man it was like a secret austin power's underground laboratory with an airjet room and maze-like corridors of rooms and all. But it was an awful trouble to get in. Had to change out of our clothes and don SCRUBS! And wear special shoes and shower caps. Haha. And the airjet room was fun. Its this metal room where a maximum of 3 ppl can enter at a time. There are airjets positioned along the walls which blast air at you for a full minute to ensure you are dust- (and hopefully pathogen-) free so that you don't infect the animals. Its weird though cos it only operates when you go in and not when you come out. So I guess its alright for the rats to infect humans. :\ You cannot imagine the technology in there. There's this machine which homogenizes tissue for you in like a split second! And its entirely robotized and all. Back in school I had to use a manual pestle and pure arm-strength to ground my tissue up into a homogenized milk-shake-like solution. Geez. Oh and I also had to operate this humongous machine. Its called a mass spectrometer and apparently it costs as much as a ferrari :S So yea, I hope I don't walk into it and knock a chunk out of it or something. No pics of the lab cos its TOP SECRET.. hiak hiak :P

Haha and can you imagine my cute UK boss being such a dear and giving me a bouquet of orchids for my birthday! What a sweetie! I was actually supposed to come 'talk' to him on thurs but I put it off till friday cos I was really too busy. And I thought it was gonna be about work anyway.. and oh that can wait :P Hahah, so the flowers were sitting in a beaker by his window when he finally told me he got them for me. hehe.


Pweety flowers.

But you know what's the luckiest news of all this week? This:



How can u beat THAT?! UPPER class honours by 0.01 pt!! This is what makes life great. The fact that you can scrape through stuff and do the bare minimum and get Exactly what you want. hahaha. Ok.. so maybe I piahed pretty hard the last semester. It still earns me bragging rights cos I didn't piah as hard for the previous sems as compared to ppl who piahed damn hard and got like 4.49 (0.01pt short of a first class honours)! Muhahahahaha. :x Allow me to be mean and happy lar. *grin*

Alright. That's the end of the week. Its a friday night. WOOT! Going to play tennis with the boyfriend tomorrow, its his birthday next week and I have no idea what to get him :| Good luck to me! Goodnight ppl~!
The SP, 9:33 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment