The Place to be (Part II)
Thoughts. Not necessarily in a stream.
Wednesday, October 12, 2005
Do I have to kill them cuties?

This is a lab mouse. It's fate is sealed. It's doom inevitable. It's future bleak. No matter how freaking cute it is.
In a happy mood. Although am still insanely free. I don't understand why everyone else seems to be swamped with work, it's unnerving. I'm even making preparations for exams, and handling all projects with superhuman speed. Perhaps am growing more efficient? *puzzled*
So tomorrow's going to be a treat! Meeting Gigi for chocolate martinis in the evening. And alright, I will announce it. Evening time is from 5pm to 8pm. Not 7 onwards! I thought everyone knew that, but apparently tis not so. Only Gigi and I seem to be the most logical persons on earth :P And as follows, morning is 8am to 12pm. Dawn is 5am to 8am. Afternoon is 12pm to 5pm. Night is 8pm onwards. Comprehende? (Capiche? Is that how you spell it?)
Boyfriend has been absolutely adorable. But am worried he's too swamped in work (just like everyone else *grumble*) and not taking care of himself. He's practically sleeping a meagre 3 hours everyday and with all the school work that I hear him talk about (which seems to pile up to insane amounts) and his JCRC stuff to attend to, I wonder how he can even cope at all. Poor baby. But he still takes time off to see me almost everyday, what a sweetie. Haha, alright shall stop.
My lab mentor just called me saying she developed some allergy and she's itching like crazy on her way to the hospital! Goodness. Must be all those mice she's been handling almost everyday, so that means I'll have to help her out tomorrow, which I was going to anyway. Only thing is she may not turn up tomorrow :S And if I do the isolation all by my lonesome self, something's bound to screw up. Mainly because its her project and I have no clue which mice is which, and apart from that, my isolation techniques are far from perfect. Oh dear, hope she turns up tomorrow, or those mice will really be in for it. Hope she's alright too, poor girl.
I'll be having to kill 20 mice soon too, super duper important experiment which could result in my first published paper should the results turn out excellent :| No pressure, bleah.
It suddenly occured to me that animal activists may be reading this right now and simultaneously sending in a petition to ban all animal experiments, using my blog as evidence on how the poor things are tortured. Am I being paranoid or could there possibly be the tiniest chance that this is occurring? Given the recent spate of events, I would not be surprised. Soo.. just in case.. all experimental procedures in laboratories today follow strict protocol regulations on animal ethics. For every experiment we do, every mouse is accounted for through a blizzard of paperwork which gives even my nice Prof a significant migraine. Every little procedure to be carried out on the stated mice have to be passed by a board of old fogeys who usually take weeks to process them and give the all important go-ahead. So everything I'm doing is legal mind you. So there.
Although I know it is sad that animals are being used to 'test' our drugs on, just think how that drug, if proven to be safe for use, could improve the health of a loved one or even save millions of lives. And let's face it. Humans aren't a very compassionate bunch when it comes to animals. We EAT them for crying out loud! When will that day come where every single creature in this world is happy, carefree and living without a hint of fear of being eaten, mawled, stepped on or squished? Never. Because there will always be a predator. And in the world today, that predator, is us.
The SP, 1:27 AM
2 Comments:
Aww..poor micies =(
allyjane, at 11:25 AM
Hi there, for ur info, me doing my essay on animal rights now n from the articles i m reading, its TOTALLY cruel to kill so many mice esp when the results may not be significant..but guess that u haf no choice cos its ur proj :P
, at 9:55 PM
